Wednesday, January 26, 2011

H---E---double hockey sticks

A scene from our favorite movie (Madagascar) prompted a discussion about 'cuss' words between Avery and I.  In the last year we have probably watched this movie 20 times give or take.  There is a scene on the beach where alex the lion spells HELP out of logs....I had never even noticed it until Avery yells
   "that says HELP!!, funny mom, I never even noticed there was a word there before"  As I was about to say "wow av, super good reading" the top of the P falls down in the movie spelling h--e-- double hockey sticks and avery shouts out
  " What THE?.....now it says HELL!!  I just gasped and said "well really good reading Avery but that is a bad word and we don't say that in our house."  She looked at me very puzzled and said "No, its not a bad word...it is a real place mom.   You are right that hell is a BAD ..BAD place, but it is not a BAD word mom" 
  Well, that was tough to argue with her on that one.  I tried to explain the "context" of words and when it is ok to use them etc...but I was interrupted by her revelation  " why would alex (the lion) call Hawaii, hell anyway?  Hawaii is AWESOME!!   and besides mom my teacher says hell at school so it can't be that bad of a word."
OI!!  I wish that some how I could get a warning about what she will say next.  I would even take an hour or two notice, just to get some thoughts together on how to respond.  So, maybe I could seize the good teaching moment or even sound semi sensible or something.....NO, instead I am always like uh...umm..derr...um..hmmm...good thought Avery, let me think on that for a while??
                Well,the positive may be that I will be more knowledgeable for the younger kids?? 

1 comment:

  1. OH man!! Not good. I'm the same way in that I always think of what to say WAY after the fact (need time to think about it too). Kids say the darndest things!! :)

    ReplyDelete