Wednesday, January 12, 2011

you win some.....you lose some!

Some days I get to the end of the day and think...Wow, good job mama! You know that feeling of accomplishment, like you met your goals and maybe even a little extra.  Well, yesterday was definitely not one of those days.  I went to bed thinking, "i want a do-over" no parenting awards coming my way any time soon.  
    I had the day all planned the night before (my first mistake!)  I had to go to work for my CPR recertification class in the afternoon.  My mom was going to watch the girls at her house for me.  So I planned to leave my house at 10 am so I could run on the treadmill and do a little pilates in my parents basement while mom fed them lunch, then I would shower, feed Presley at noon and then take off for bellingham.  Plan sounds easy enough right?  Well, in reality the morning was a disaster!! To start, Presley woke up 2 hours earlier than she has everyother day in the last 5 weeks...totally throwing off her feeding schedule. Avery and Kenzie both woke up early, complaining of stomache aches and wanting to be held.  Presley screamed for most of the morning (totally unlike her, usually sooo mellow)  Kenzie throw up 7 or 8 times over about 3 hours.  She refused to throw up into a towel, sink, or toilet.....no she needed to be wrapped up around my neck and throw up on me!  Avery was a busy beaver running around the house and packing a total of 5 bags plus 2 dolls and one stuffed animal into the car to take to nanas ( oh , she does not travel lightly!  I am contemplating  a new travel rule------1 toy per child!)    Poor Presley, every time I sat down to feed her, Kenzie would come running saying she was going to throw up again.  So, again I had to lay down Presley( who was super mad and hungry)  Avery was complaining of a headache because of "presley screaming mad" and a stomache ache because of "kenzies stink"  At approximatley 11 oclock ( one hour behind schedule) I got Avery and Kenzie into the car, went to get Presley strapped in....only to find that she had pooped everywhere, I mean up her back and down her legs disaster!! So, quick sponge bath and a change of clothes and into the car where avery and kenzie are waiting and both crying.  As we are backing out of the driveway, Presley projectile vomits in her carseat and avery and kenzie are yelling "mom. go back in the house and change she!....you have to mom, it is so gross"  well, i didn't!  Avery probably wont let me live that one down for a while.... how could I let the poor baby be in barfy clothes?   Heading down the road, Avery and Kenzie are complaining how cold they are " MOM, why didn't you pack us blankets?  that is not good mom, you should have packed us blankets....you knew it was cold outside...MOM!"   Silly me, somewhere in the mix of the 7 bags that were brought to the car, the bowl, wash clothes (2 , one wet one dry) and water bottle for Kenzie, in case she got sick again....I forgot blankets. And , the gas light comes on in the car...rats, have to get gas too.  Somehow in the next 30 seconds I forget that I was going to get gas and find myself already at the west end of badger...no turning back now.  Hope I don't run out of gas.  Well, we arrived at my parents house and it took me only 5 trips to and from the house to unload all the toys and stuff that the girls "needed" for their 5 hour stay at nana and papas, now just enough time for me to shower and wash the vomit off my neck.   (gross, I know...parenting aint always pretty)  No workout for me, again today...oh well. Then off to Bellingham for me,  I realize at this point that I haven't eaten or had my coffee or anything!  whew, no wonder I feel so icky. Thank goodness moms fridge is always stocked with diet coke and food...grab a quick lunch and out the door, wet hair and all. I hope and say a little prayer that I can make it to costco to get gas.  I did make it to costco, only to find a super long line and I had to be to class in less than 15 minutes...say another little prayer and head to class.  Made it and passed all required tests at class and stopped by the shell station on the way back to get just enough gas to make it to safeway later on.   Arrived at mom and dads to find a peaceful household and mom making a very yummy steak dinner for us.....aaahhh, thank you mommy!  The girls and I head home and all is totally peaceful in the car on the way home. YAY, came home to Dean, who had a very nice warm fire going...and helped me unload all the stuff from the car...YAY for good husbands  And peacefully the girls went off to dream land...tired little angels.  Phew, survived the day...but it wasnt pretty!!  Parenting is hard work people!! To all you mommies out there, I think you are amazing everyday!!  Don't ever forget you have the best and toughest job in the world.  I know this story may sound like I am complaining, but truly not at all.  I love my job as mom, more than anything. I would not trade one day with these girls, even when the days go like this.  At the end of the day, you just have to laugh about it, kiss the little angels good night and say.....you win some and you lose some!   
after all is said and done....who could ever get upset with these innocent little faces !!!???

1 comment:

  1. Oi! That WAS a rough day! I'm so sorry... but I'm sure you were a better (less cranky and angry) mom than I would have been through it! You are so patient...

    Good work, mom!

    ReplyDelete